Thursday, April 14, 2011

Day 14

I'd like to pause at yesterday's reflection on fasting and renunciation.

I pause to make an admission, perhaps even a confession.

As much as I love putting this blog together, I know that the risk of the practice-a-day method is that it will only add more items to our pile of things to do. Even the most noble aspirations stacked too high and deep can become just another source of clutter.

Perhaps the worst kind of clutter. When we don't want to do the dishes or the laundry or fill out an expense report, we rarely feel that in avoiding those things that we're turning our backs on our higher calling. But to feel overburdened by our hopes, that's where anxiety or guilt might start.

So, today, no new practices. We're about halfway through the month. You can go back and review the prior days if you want to. Or not. Feel free to renounce the invitation. (-:

6 comments:

  1. "The pause that refreshes"... Thanks, Ken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! My spiritual practice today revolves around cleaning up puke from my poor stomach bug inflicted child ;0) I will try to wash vomit out of sheets with intention hahahahaha! Lots of love to everyone today

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been enjoying the opportunity to move into Spring with a sense of fresh and renewed purpose. Thanks for the first 14 days and I'm looking forward to the rest of the month. I will also take the day to do some thinking on the fasting idea. Thank you Ken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So today we fast on practices ... ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bingo, Gil.
    A productively non-productive paradox.
    I hope. (;

    ReplyDelete
  6. Speaking of paradoxes always brings to mind the following lines of poetry from the Fantastiks:

    There is a curious paradox that no one can explain.
    Who understands the secrets of the reaping of the grain?
    Who understands why spring is born from winter's laboring pain?
    Or why we all must die a bit before we grow again?

    ReplyDelete