Thursday, April 7, 2011

Day 7

"To clasp the hands in prayer is the beginning of an uprising against the disorder of the world." Karl Barth.

I love the simplicity of Barth's image, particularly in contrast to the honest reflection on physical, emotional and intellectual clutter in the Avett Brothers' beautiful song "10,000 Words":

Ten thousand words swarm around my head
Ten million more in books written beneath my bed
I wrote or read them all when searchin’ in the swarms
Still can’t find out how to hold my hands


And I know you need me in the next room over

But I am stuck in here all paralyzed

For months I got myself in ruts

Too much time spent in mirrors framed in yellow walls

(video at the end of the post)


One of the painful costs of a cluttered life is the way in which it walls us off. Clutter hides us from the rigors and the pleasures of true intimacy. It's no wonder that many contemplative teachers equate a deepening spiritual life with greater transparency within ourselves and with others.

Today, I'd like to ask you to identify one area of your life that feels cluttered or disordered to you. What, if anything, do you believe is hiding, or what are you avoiding, by way of that clutter?
And how can you clasp your hands in a (hopefully peaceful) uprising against that disorder?Like that wonderful cliche, how can you "bless this mess?"
Attempt to really bless it by trying to understand it.





4 comments:

  1. Great song, and great message! Thanks for sharing this, Ken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My area is my car. With three kids, there is a lot that goes on in that van and just this morning, I was starting to feel very overwhelmed by the mess. But it is too easy to close the door and walk away from it. Thanks to a visiting Grandma, I am actually alone and going to tackle it now -- in peace and mindfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you know I spent 20 minutes after work clearing off my desk and throwing things away? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It takes a lot of energy to keep grief from overtaking me more than it does. When pain blindsides me, I am truly dis-ordered, paralyzed, as the song says. I consider myself incredibly blessed to be living such a full, cluttered life. Viva la clutter and its distractions. Sorry Ken.

    ReplyDelete