Saturday, April 9, 2011

Day 9

I'm on the road right now, speaking at a conference. Living from a suitcase, thinking about uncluttering brings to mind George Carlin's old comedy bit "A Place for Your Stuff." My stuff feels pretty spread out right now, with a long drive home waiting for me later today.

Today, let's take a step back. On Day 2, I asked you to write about the clutter you want to let go of. Upon reflection, what kind of clutter is that primarily (although they very often are interrelated)? Physical, mental, emotional, spiritual?

Do you feel you're making progress with the clutter that's in your life? In terms of understanding it, and also dealing with it?

3 comments:

  1. I am also living out of a suitcase right now in Mexico City. I am consciously noticing that when I put things in designated spots in the hotel room so that I can find them again, my brain and spirit are less jumbled as well. Tidiness has its advantages after all. Wow what an insight - maybe I'll try it at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am overwhelmed this time of year. My 32 rescued animals need a variety of things to prepare for the warmer weather. My house, barn, pasture and yard are a mess from winter. I often neglect meditation and prayer this time of year in lieu of getting a small task accomplished. For the past few days I have been starting my day with 20 minutes of spiritual practice followed by making my bed. I feel less frantic and more connected starting my day in calm. The challenge is to keep up the practice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I think to the times in my life that I have traveled and lived out of a suitcase I can remember having a liberated feeling because I only carry with me what I really need and use. I didn't have many distractions. Perhaps that is part of my issue, I can't let go of the distractions that the clutter causes in my life?

    ReplyDelete